Investment grant for Berlin companies: the InvestitionsBONUS restart programme
The Berlin InvestitionsBONUS is a funding scheme initiated by the State of Berlin that offers small and medium-sized enterprises and full-time freelancers and sole traders with their registered office in Berlin an investment grant. The restart programme is essentially open to any sector but is predominantly aimed at those industries that were particularly hard hit by the pandemic, such as retail, gastronomy, tourism, and service and artisan enterprises. This programme closes the previous gap in funding.
You can find the State of Berlin's Terms and Conditions for the funding scheme in the Funding Guidelines (pdf).
Who can apply for the Berlin InvestitionsBONUS?
This funding is aimed at:
- small and medium-sized enterprises;
- freelancers; and
- the self-employed;
who have a registered office or permanent establishment in Berlin and would like to make future investments in the capital.
Freelancers and the self-employed must earn at least 51% of their income from self-employed activity and pay tax on this income in Berlin.
In principle, the programme has no limits on sector. There is a focus on the following industries:
- Service and artisan enterprises.
The following companies are not eligible:
- Companies that have already received GRW funding;
- Companies eligible for GRW (according to the GRW Positive List or companies which have predominantly supra-regional turnover);
- Self-employed doctors, dentists, veterinarians, lawyers, notaries, patent lawyers, auditors; tax advisors etc.;
- Hospitals, clinics, rehabilitation centres or similar facilities;
- Companies experiencing difficulties;
- Companies which are majority public-owned; and
What does the Berlin funding scheme for investment grants cover?
The Berlin InvestitionsBONUS subsidises investments which will make the company future-ready. Eligible companies and persons receive subsidies for capital expenditure for external expenditure only. A sustainability bonus may also be awarded for particularly sustainable investments.
Specifically, funding can be applied for to cover the following investments:
- Tangible assets (e.g. plant, machinery, operating equipment and office equipment);
- Movable assets that will be used within Berlin;
- Intangible assets (e.g. software licenses, patents, operating licenses, patented and non-patented technical knowledge);
- Leased or rented assets;
- Acquisition of business premises that are closed or about to close: eligible acquisition costs for procuring the capital assets of the fixed tangible asset up to market price.
All funded assets must remain in the funded business establishment for at least two or three years after completion of the investment project.
You cannot apply for funding for:
- Internal and operational staff and management costs and cash payments;
- Assets acquired from related companies;
- Services and measures already subsidised by other EU funding schemes;
- Investments for replacement and supplementary acquisitions;
- Procurement and manufacturing costs for cars, HGVs and transport vehicles which are registered for road use;
- Procurement of used assets (excluding for companies in their start-up phase and business takeovers);
- Financing costs which can be capitalised;
- Costs for manufacturing or acquiring immovable assets such as real estate, property and construction measures; and
- Mobile assets which will be used outside of Berlin (e.g. smartphones).
How much funding is available?
The Berlin InvestitionsBONUS funding scheme is made up of basic funding and optional sustainability funding. Funding is provided as non-repayable grants.
1. Basic funding
Basic funding provides grants for up to a maximum of 30% of eligible investment costs for the project submitted.
The specific amount of funding depends on the selected stream - the legal framework which the funds come from.
The deciding factor here is how much aid you have already received from the respective funding stream.
Overview of the three possible streams within Basic Funding
De Minimis Aid Regulation
aid regulations from GRW coordination framework according
Basic Funding: 30% of eligible costs
Basic Funding is calculated according to the Map of Support Regions. Berlin falls into support regions C and D, and into regions that are not eligible for funding. The following general funding rates apply according to the address of the investment location:
Support regions C:
- Small enterprises: 25%
Support regions D:
- Small enterprises: 15%
additional sustainability bonus of 5% of eligible costs for particularly sustainable investments where applicable
Maximum total funding
Eligible for SaaS
Not eligible for SaaS
2 years after end of investment project in Berlin support region
3 years after end of investment project in Berlin support region
Increased funding of five percentage points can be paid out for particularly sustainable investments. It must be stated in the application itself to what extent the investment project fulfils the sustainability criterion. At least three of the following questions regarding the sustainability of the planned investment must be answered positively in order to fulfil this criterion.
- Will the project increase energy or resource efficiency?
- Will the project be adapted to climate change?
- Will the project contribute to climate action?
- Will the use of plastic in the project be reduced?
- Will fewer chemicals or hazardous substances be used in the project?
- Will recycling aspects be taken into account in the project?
- Will the project promote biodiversity and natural habitats?
- Will the project lead to respectful use of ground and soil?
- Will the project protect healthy ecosystems?
- Will regional raw materials/products be procured in the project?
- Will the project strengthen Fair Trade?
- Will the project contribute to reducing accidents and/or increasing accessibility?
- Will the project contribute to noise reduction?
Applying for funding through the Berlin InvestitionsBONUS
The investment grant can be applied for electronically via the IBB Business Team GmbH application and management system. Click on the "eAntrag" button to be redirected to the application and management system where you will find information on signing up and submitting your application.
Please note that applications can only be submitted in German. Please familiarise yourself with the eligibility criteria and necessary documents (only available in German) before applying!
Mo., Tue., Thu. & Fr. 10:00 - 15:00 o'clock
Phone: 030 / 2125-4555
Combine the Berliner InvestitionsBONUS with other funding schemes
We have the perfect funding scheme for your business, offering diversity and helping you launch and grow your business.
Grants for business coaching
Grants for collaborations between finance and science
Wirtschaftsnahe Elektromobilität (WELMO)
Grants for transitioning to e-mobilityobilität
Grants for increasing safety and security in heavy traffic